He shot His arrows deep into my heart. The thought of my suffering and hopelessness is bitter beyond words. I will never forget this awful time, as I grieve over my loss. YET I DARE to Hope when I remember this: The UNFAILING Love of the Lord NEVER ENDS! By His mercies we have been kept from complete destruction.
Lamentations 3:13,19-22

Friday, July 1, 2011

Tates first doctors appointment!

Tates first doctors appointment!
Wednesday the day before his first appointment, Tates portable O2 machine was delivered. He hasnt been using it as much lately but we ordered one just in case. Thursday morning we left for Alabaster. The whole car ride there I was a ball of nerves. You never notice how rough a ride is until you have a tiny baby in the car. We finally got to the doctors office and the nurses met us at the door and took us straight back. We were the first patients of the day. The nurses came in and weighed and measured him. Tate weighs 3 pounds and 15.5 oz. SO close to 4 lbs.   
Dr. B came in and said "I've never treated a baby with Trisomy 18 so we are going to be walking a new path with him." When he was in school he saw several babies with Tri-18 but never in his practice. So he went over a few things. We are going to stay on our "comfort care plan" which means no shots and nothing medically invasive. No feeding tubes. He has lost weight but Tate seems to be very content and happy with the little amount he been eating. Hes not suffering or starving.
Dr. B put Tate on the table and examined him. Tate is so little. Tate has 2 hernias on the lower part of his tummy. "If" he were a "normal" baby they would remove them with surgery at 6 months. He listened to his heart. We talked about how Tate has 2 holes in his heart, called an AV Canal. Again "if" Tate were a "normal" baby he would need surgery at 2 months. But we told Dr. B that we havent had his heart looked at since I was 22 weeks pregnant. He said that we could go and have it looked at but if were not going to do anything about it, whats the point in knowing. I would like to know because what if its been healed. Ive been told by several of our nurses that sometimes it sounds ok and sometimes you can hear a little extra something in there. So Im just curious as to whats going on. Not that we would put his little body through surgery but just to see whats going on.
We left but I honestly felt so overwhelmed by it all. Its so hard to look at this beautiful little boy and not know how long you have with him. The Lord has blessed us with 3 amazing weeks with Tate! Tate has done so well the past two weeks! He acts like a normal, newborn baby! Hes so sweet and so content!
Thank you for your prayer and words of encouragement!
They help me get me through the day!
****
The other day I posted that our NEO doctor called. He said that he doesnt see babies after they go home but he would call a buddy of his, who is a genetic doctor. He called me back right away. He was so nice and understanding. He even gave me his personal cell number if we ever have any question we can call him day or night! Most doctors would never do that. Im so thankful that the Lord is putting amazing doctors in our path!


Prayer request:
  • That Tates hernias go away. Pray their not painful for him.
  • SLEEP! Daivd started back work this past monday. My shift is from 12 to 5:30. then I take a nap from 5:30 to 9:00 while David takes he turn before work. The lack of sleep is hard but I cant help but watch him all the time.
  • Please pray for wisdom on weather or not to continue on to see the pediatric cardiologist.

0 comments:

Post a Comment